Hart Of Home

Followers

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sourdough Bread

  I know I just posted, but I have something else on my mind that I just need to get out.  It's minor really.  I came home last night and had tons of energy but felt like I had tons to do since I had been gone all day.  I sat down with my sick two year old and he would not let me get up.  So my amazing husband knew that one of the things I needed to start on was sourdough bread so he offered to help.  I already mixed the starter and some wheat and water the night before as you are suppose to.  Than he mixed the milk, honey, butter, and salt for me and heated it.  You than need to let that cool to room temp before adding to the other mixture.  So we let it get to room temp and I mixed in the remaining wheat to start the rising process.  For those who know nothing about making sourdough or any bread it is a six to seven hour long process once you heat the milk.  So after the first rise I started falling asleep.  It was only 8 or 9 at night but I just could not keep my eyes open any longer.  So very disappointed and worried about what would happen I placed my sourdough in the fridge.  I was worried that it would not rise properly the next day.
  So skip ahead to today.  I pulled the sourdough out of the fridge and set it on the stove to get back to room temp and than to rise at least one more time before baking.  I did that, than I hand made little loafs for sandwiches and than one bigger loaf in a loaf pan for cutting slices for toast and such.  I covered them and let them rise, this is when I was worried that the dough would just remain the same.  It did not however, it rose!  I was so excited and happy to see that my sourdough came back to life and rose to look like nice loaves.  I am not sure exactly how they will turn out, they are in the oven now, but the fact that they rose a third time and rose so well gives me great hope!  I am looking forward to us having this bread for lunch tomorrow and maybe even breakfast!
Meaghan

No comments: